-
December 18th, 2007, 05:13 AM
#1
Inactive Member
-
December 18th, 2007, 07:16 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Those look nice! Good price, too. Should go very well with your 811/806-16s. Congrats!
I see you got momma some nice earrings too. Wise move.
-
December 18th, 2007, 12:22 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Hey BFish. You are the fastest gun slinger here. Ain't you? How did you figure that out? I sent a couple of day on ebay with my wife to buy her christmas gifts. After sayings things like, "wow" those earrings are nice! Then I could say, "where is mine?" My next move was to say, "hone" type altec in the search box, and etc. And I found mine last night. I am so so excited. No recon,,no remag please!
Thanks for your help.
-
December 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Sounds like you'll end up with a pair of these, 9849-8Ds with a larger horn and in 16 ohms!
Very nice speaker for sure and you are going to love the 414s.

Gary
-
December 18th, 2007, 01:35 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Wow
They do look beautiful. Could you give me some tips? Xovers point and parts, enclosure sign, port tunning, and etc?
I know I will love it. I am planning to put it all together this weekend. So I can play some christmas music with them.
Thanks.
Tim
-
December 18th, 2007, 11:56 PM
#6
Inactive Member
These are all original and just as they came from the factory Altec 9849-8Ds. They are identicle to the standard 9849s except they have a rift sawn veneer rather then the grey painted plywood.
Each has a 414-8C woofer, rebuilt by GPA and a metal 32 bent horn with either an 804 or 806 driver.
The specs on these would be different from what you want to build since you have the larger 811 horns that are much too deep to fit inside these cabinets. All other aspects would need to be changed.
I am not good at linking specs from the archives but I am sure the 9849 is there.
Gary
-
December 19th, 2007, 12:48 AM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
-
December 19th, 2007, 01:18 AM
#8
Inactive Member
Originally posted by timp:
Hey BFish....How did you figure that out?...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm a hacker-in-training...in fact, I'm watching you through your TV screen right now.
Made 'ya look!
Two Altec systems are listed with Tim's components, the 837 Avalon, and the 838 Carmel. I found no plans or pics of either....
Both used the N800F crossover. 800Hz, 16 ohm, HF attenuation. All I'm aware of on that is here;
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...00f#post158373
N800Fs show up on eBay.
I can find no T/S data on a 414 with the old AlNiCo mag like Tim's, so ~cloning something Altec made is as good as any unless he can measure his own T/S. There might be something else of use in the old enclosure guides at;
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...ltec-plans.htm
If you decide to just put the horns on top, there's some info you'll need on placement and wiring in those pages.
That's a pretty ambitious task to finish by Christmas...There's a parts store near GM that may stock parts for crossovers. If you run into a problem, just ask, we'll try to help you make your deadline.
-
December 19th, 2007, 02:10 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Thanks alot! I really appreciated the help. I am working on it. Fortunately I had a pair of enclosures to begin with (6.3F). So, I have to make it smaller a little. After reading the stuffs you (pl) sent, I am shooting for 3.5f. However, I do have a question. For Xovers, would it be a good idea to run First order with my little 14 watts per side Eicos? I don't want to burn
these treasures by being ignorant.
Thank you again.
Tim
-
December 19th, 2007, 02:24 AM
#10
Inactive Member
I wouldn't. First order on an 806/811 is asking for trouble unless you went to 1200Hz. 2nd order ButterWorths are std Altec fare. You can substitute a fixed resistor for the attenuator, but might need to try a few to get it where you like it.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.
Bookmarks